How to apply?
A birth or identity certificate is a legal document that can be used to indicate the bearer’s identity and nationality by birth.
Applications for these certificates can be made either in in-person or by post. Applicants applying by post MUST enclose at least one of the specified documents (see list of requirements below) in ORIGINAL form. Applicants who do not have any of the specified documents, must apply in-person and enclose identity guarantee forms from two guarantors.
Checklist of requirements
All applicants, whether applying by post or in person, must submit the following items as part of their application:
- Birth/Identity Certificate Application Form – fully completed and signed.
- Two standard passport size photos affixed to the appropriate box in the application form
NB. The photos must be fresh, identical and taken directly off the face to show both ears
- Original document verifying your Afghan identity, to include at least one from the list below:
- Marriage certificate (endorsed by the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul)
- Professional or educational documents from established institutions INSIDE Afghanistan
- Applicants who do not posses any of the above identity documents, MUST apply in person and bring with them guarantee forms completed and signed by two Afghan nationals of an established social or professional background. Identity guarantee forms are available separately.
- Documents verifying your current residency status in Canada, such as PR card, citizenship document, landed immigrant document, etc.
- Documents verifying your current address, such as driving license, utility bills or similar documents.
- Certificate processing fee (CAD 70). See below for payment method.
- Return postage cost (CAD 20) in addition to processing fee. Applicants can choose to provide a registered, self-addressed return envelop instead of paying the postage cost.
(All charges are in CAD)
(Including bank and admin charges)
| Birth Certificate
| Certificate of Identity
| Certificate of Nationality
|Fast Track service
(If applicable-alternatively enclose a pre-paid, self-addressed envelop)
- All consular charges are ONLY payable in CAD. Payment in any other currency will not be accepted.
- All consular charges must be paid by BANK CHEQUE (certified cheque) or MONEY ORDER made payable to ‘The Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa’. Payment by cash, personal cheques or bank transfer will not be accepted.
- In case of multiple requests, or payment of return postal charges, a single money order or certified bank cheque, covering the total amount due, may be submitted.
- Money order or bank cheque must be submitted together with completed application form.
Embassy address and opening hours
The opening hours of the Embassy’s Consular Section are as follows:
Monday through Friday from 10am to 1pm and from 2pm to 4pm.
The Consular Section is closed outside these hours as well as on Saturdays and Sundays.
Postal applications must be sent by REGISTERED MAIL to the Embassy’s address below.
Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa
240 Argyle Avenue
Ottawa, ON K2P 1B9
View Embassy Address on the Map
The Embassy will not take any responsibility for loss of documents which are not sent as registered mail.
Applications will be processed in order of their receipt by the Consular Section. Applications that are incomplete and/or are missing necessary documentation will not be processed.
All original documents submitted as part of application for certificate of birth/identity/nationality will be returned to the applicant after the due process.
Download Application forms
If you have read the information above and are ready to apply, print the following forms as appropriate:
Application form: [BIRTH CERTIFICATE APPLICATION FORM ENGLISH]
Application form Dari: [BIRTH CERTIFICATE APPLICATION FORM DARI]
Application form Pashto: [BIRTH CERTIFICATE APPLICATION FORM Pashto]
Application form French: [BIRTH CERTIFICATE APPLICATION FORM FRENCH]
If you need to fill in an Identity Guarantee form, which can be accessed below, please read the instructions before completing.
Identity Guarantee form: IdentityGuaranteeFormEnglish.pdf
Identity Guarantee form: IdentityGuaranteeFormDari.pdf
Identity Guarantee form: IdentityGuaranteeFormPashto.pdf